Oh curls! What do I love about curly hair? It’s funky, it’s beautiful and curls come in so many wonderful shapes and sizes. You may fall under any of these categories: dry, frizzy, inconsistent, tight, loose, coarse or soft. As much as we love our curls, sometimes it’s hard to know where to start with getting a full head of defined yet soft, touchable curls.
No matter what your curl patterns may be, it’s vital to know how to properly care for your mane. Make sure you are keeping up with your regular 8 to 12-week trims. This will ensure that your ends stay fresh and bouncy. With at-home care, shampooing too frequently could potentially create more frizz and dryness. Whatever your shampoo regimen is, conditioning your curls is a MUST.
There are many worthy products available today giving us untold options. Some of my favorites for taming your luscious curly locks are Bumble and bumble Curl Conscious Cream, Cityswept and Dry Spun Finish.
Oribe has its share of curl-worthy products. Enhance natural texture with Curl by Definition and lock in moisture with Curl Shaping Mousse. Perfect curls begin with Shampoo and Conditioner for Moisture & Control.
From Kérastase, the new Discipline line is unmatched in smooth-in-motion care where smoothness and manageability are in perfect movement. The testimonials from staff and clients alike are flowing in.
Whether air-drying or diffusing, it is critical to the outcome of your curls that you do not touch it too much with your hands or, heaven forbid, a brush. Disturbing the curl during the delicate drying stage will result in unwanted frizz and lack of curl definition.
To help you achieve success you can count on, here are some quick, easy steps to an amazing head of curls:
1. Make sure the conditioner is thoroughly combed through the hair while in the shower before rinsing.
2. After rinsing, towel dry just enough to remove any excess moisture. You should leave enough moisture in the hair so that your fingers can glide freely through the ends. If your fingers are getting caught in your hair and it is beginning to look fluffy, you have most likely taken too much moisture out and need to re-dampen. An extra step but you’ll be happier with the results.
3. Layer in the products that will give you the desired look.
4. If diffusing, allow the diffuser dryer to do the work. Gently place the hair in the diffuser and move around the hair to dry thoroughly. If you begin to see frizz happening, stop and air-dry the rest.
5. As the hair approaches its final stage of drying, use your fingertips to create the desired volume by massaging in little circular motions at the scalp.
I want you to have a newfound love for your gorgeous unique curls. Embrace them. All curls are beautiful. It is your signature. It is your fingerprint. No two curls are alike. How lucky are we, curlies?
article :: kathryn m | stylist.educator
images :: carrie mateosian